What is Taykobon?
Taykobon is your home for the latest in coverage of manga, light novels, and anime. "Taykobon" is a play on the Japanese word tankōbon, which is usually to describe a single volume of manga. Originally based on anitay.org, we've been going at it since dropping our first review in April, 2015, and we have no plans for stopping any time soon.
Matt | Managing Editor | email@example.com
Matt is a broke law student by day, broke law student by night, and one of the managing editors of Taykobon in his dwindling spare time. Although his favourite series tend to be shonen adventure series, he also has a soft spot for slice-of-life shojo romances. He enjoys following the manga industry, and enjoys watching hockey and baseball in his other nonexistent spare time. You can find him on Reco under the handle @manga.
Matt is responsible for coordinating our reviews of print manga and light novel releases, as well as site operations. If you're a publisher looking to send materials in for review, he's the one to contact. Anyone interested in writing for Taykobon or submitting a review can also email him.
Favourite series: Bakuman (manga), Your Lie in April (anime)
Favourite author: Io Sakisaka
Michael | Managing Editor | firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael is currently pursuing degrees in both Computer Science and Japanese, and is a seasoned expert on the term "between a rock and a hard place". In his theoretical spare time, he would probably enjoy watching anime, reading light novels/manga, and haphazardly throwing his opinions at the internet to see what sticks. A fan of genres ranging from Metal to J-Pop, Michael never shuts up about music and awaits the latest songs from the likes of Babymetal, Weaver, and Sayuri with great anticipation. He enjoys a good dramatic story, be it action-packed or romance-filled, but really any genre will do. If any of the above details sound up your alley, feel free to follow him on Twitter @protonstorm or just continue reading his reviews on Taykobon.
Michael is responsible for coordinating our anime coverage, as well as for running our digital light novels reviews.
Favorite series: Noragami (manga), Shin Sekai Yori (anime)
Favorite Author(s): Adachitoka
Charlene | Logo & Graphic Design | Art Direction
Charlene is a Toronto based artist and graphic designer. She holds an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto with High Distinction. She doesn't read manga very often, but does enjoy Inio Asano's works such as Goodnight Punpun and Solanin. You can find her website at charlenelo.com.
Jordan | Contributor
A recent convert to the world of manga, Jordan has expanded his love of games and animation into a new love of graphic novels. A student of ancient history, he crams his days with videogames, movies, anime, manga, blogging and numerous podcasts, whenever he gets a chance between his other social obligations. Other interests include theology, philosophy, cosplay, and camping. You can find him on twitter under the alias of @KrakkenGuides.
Favorite Manga Series: Ancient Magus' Bride and Naoki Urasawa's Monster.
Evan | Contributor
Evan currently contributes light novel reviews as well as manga reviews from time to time. He is a big fan of the Is it Wrong to try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon, Spice & Wolf, as well as numerous other anime, light novel, and manga series.
Ben | Contributor
Ben finds it immensely difficult to describe himself so he'll be talking about his love for manga and anime instead. A fan of anime and manga since he first laid eyes on "Sailor Moon", he mostly writes Anime Series Blogs and the occasional manga review. While suspense and mystery are his genre of choice, he's always on the lookout for the next soothing Slice-of-Life series. He can be found on Twitter @TheGespenst where he regularly talks about his favourite manga and anime in over-excited, yet eloquent(?) ways.
Favourite series: Shaman King (manga), Tsuritama (anime)
Favourite author: Hirohiko Araki
Patrick | Contributor
Patrick is an anime and manga fan who enjoys playing games, martial arts, and various sports including lacrosse and hockey. His title may be "Contributor," but we all know it's just one of those monkeys trying to replicate Shakespeare - who knows how he got to writing about anime. Mostly Patrick enjoys mysteries/thrillers/psychologically-focused works, but really anything is good. Even if it's bad. He doesn't have any social media, so here's a pre-preemptive apology for all the fan mail you are dying to send him: "meh."
Favorite Series: Tokyo Ghoul (manga), Ergo Proxy (anime)
Favorite Author: Inio Asano
Dil | Contributor
If one were to poll those who were friends with or worked with Dil on a single word to describe him, the result would almost unanimously be “eager”. Constantly reading and writing in his sparse free time, he looks to better his craft however he can. This transitions well into his interests in sports (particularly distance running), as he signs up for a wide range of events as frequent as his schedule allows. While he loves getting analytical about manga and anime, he has a huge soft spot for the slice-of-life/comedy genres.
Favorite Series: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Manga), Cowboy Bebop (Anime)
Favorite Author: Nisio Isin
Felipe | Contributor
Greg | Contributor
Taykobon receives products (books, etc) from publishers, developers, retailers and other sources free of charge on occasion. If provided, these products are for the sole purpose of reviewing the product by a reviewer affiliated with Taykobon, giving our subjective opinion to our readers. Any review copies are provided specifically to Taykobon for review by our team.
Sending a product to Taykobon does not guarantee a review. Taykobon maintains complete discretion as to which products they review. Chances are that anything recently released that is reviewed by us, particularly manga or light novels, are from a review copy.
Taykobon receives no monetary compensation in exchange for their reviews of products provided for free, nor does Taykobon accept any compensation, monetary or other, in order to influence a review’s outcome.
Taykobon does not endorse illegal uploads of images of any materials ("Scanlations"). Any images of review material or ongoing series are from the official release in either English or Japan. Scanlations are strictly illegal and are a violation of international copyright law. We reserve the right to delete any comments that contain any reference to scanlations. Please support the industry by buying legally.
Web Site Terms and Conditions of Use
By accessing this web site, you are agreeing to be bound by these
web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations,
and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local
laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from
using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this web site are
protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.
2. Use License
- Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials
(information or software) on Taykobon’s web site for personal,
non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license,
not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on Taykobon’s web site;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Taykobon at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
- The materials on Taykobon’s web site are provided “as is”. Taykobon makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Taykobon does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall Taykobon or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on Taykonon's Internet site, even if Taykobon or a Taykobon authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on Taykobon web site could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Taykobon does not warrant that any of the materials on its web site are accurate, complete, or current. Taykobon may make changes to the materials contained on its web site at any time without notice. Taykobon does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
Taykobon has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet web site and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Taykobon of the site. Use of any such linked web site is at the user’s own risk.
8. Governing Law
Any claim relating to Taykobon's web site shall be governed by the laws of Ontario, Canada without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
General Terms and Conditions applicable to Use of a Web Site.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.